January 31, 2011

Sneak Peek

Here’s a little preview of our master bath that I’ll be featuring soon!

Ok, ok. I’m kidding. I wouldn’t leave you guys hanging like that :) We’ve been working on this bathroom for what feels like a lifetime and I’m am dying to share it with you all! Here’s a quick before shot. As you can see, we didn’t have much to work with, ha.

No, the picture isn’t resized that’s just a creepy little door leading to the attic. So, since we live in a cape cod our “second floor” (if you want to call it that) is full of sloped ceilings and small spaces. We converted the two tiny rooms upstairs into our new master suite complete with a bathroom. Check her out.

This room, like almost all others in our home, had to be completely overhauled. We added insulation, yes it was without, new drywall, added plumbing, electric, and flooring. Oh, and of course, the bathroom necessities, vanity, shower, bathtub, and the good ole toilet. Discovering a layout that worked for this small space was quite the task. The sloped ceilings really limited the placement of the shower and vanity, plus we had a fairly large double window.  Talk about a headache. But oh the transformation :)

Everyone thought we had literally lost it when we mentioned adding a fireplace to the bathroom. Please take me word, there is nothing like a hot bath next to a little fire. Heavenly.

We chose white subway tile for a classic clean lined feel in the shower. We knew we would never grow tired of this look. Yes, we are aware there is no shower door. It’s in the works but for now we’re using a temporary shower curtain. Glass door to come :)

We were also crushing pretty hard on some glass tile, but not the price tag. Using it as an accent worked perfectly for us while tying the shower into the vanity area as well.

We’re absolutely thrilled with the end result. Walking into this room lights up my heart every time. Yea, we did that. It’s an indescribable feeling. We still have plenty of finishing touches to add and I’m dying to add accessories, but for now we’re pretty happy with how far it’s come.

Option two please.

11 thoughts on “Sneak Peek

1. Felicity @ Our Little Beehive

Oh my god that’s amazing. I can’t quite agree that the space is small since it’s wider than you arm’s span 😉 but what you did with the slopes is pretty impressive. I love the wall color too and how nicely it contrasts with the white subway tile.

2. Robin @ 3 Acres & 3000 sf

Wow that bathroom is gorgeous! I love the way you worked with the angled ceilings and put in lots of little features to make it perfect.

Did you not take out a permit for the electrical though? Because it is against the National Electrical Code to have a chandelier over a tub. Plus lighting in that area needs to be UL damp listed so that the humidity won’t short out the lighting fixtures and cause a fire. I’d strongly suggest looking for a replacement fixture and moving that one to a non-bathroom.

Robin – Thanks so much for stopping in :) We always appreciate the concern but my husband is actually a certified electrician. Everything in the bathroom is UL damp listed and the chandelier over the tub was passed because it’s arc fault and it’s on a gfi. No worries here.

3. Randi

Hi! I love this Master Bath, and I was wondering if you remember the paint color you used on the walls? Does it read more gray or blue in person? Thanks!!

Randi & Melinda – Thank you! The color in the Master Bath is Sherwin Williams Rain SW1692. It definitely reads more blue than gray, which isn’t necessarily what we were going for although it works great with the tile. Hope this helps!

4. Melinda

Thats exactly the color I have been wanting for my bathroom. What is the paint color? And good question..Randi…does it read more gray or blue in person.

Thank you! Your house is my new favorite. Used to be the House Tweaking home.

5. charla

Don’t know if you are still answering these a year later. But found your bathroom pics on pinterest. We are starting a bathroom reno and it is already very similar to yours. Can you tell me what you used on the top of your tub surround, the white part, is that tile?? Also, is that vanity from Ikea & if so, have you been happy with it.

Hi Charla,
      The top of the tub surround is tile. We just used basic 12″x12″ glossy ceramic white tiles. The vanity is from Ikea, and while we only lived with it for a short time, we were absolutely thrilled with it. Loved the easy glide of the self-closing drawers and all the interior organization options! Hope this helps :)

6. Pingback: Bath Updates | Cape 27

7. Karen

You two are amazing!!! This bathroom is a dream! Is that a window in the shower? Does it have glass or just an opening for light? Thanks.