May 14, 2012

Kitchen Progress

We’re finally coming towards a close on the kitchen. We still have some minor updates to work through (crown molding, installing the cabinet above the refrigerator, door casing, etc.) but we’re ready to share a few before and after pics!

Since moving into our house two months ago we’ve knocked down major walls separating the kitchen from the rest of the home, updated the electric and plumbing, installed new hardwood flooring, replaced all the upper and lower cabinets, and added a butcher block island. We updated to stainless steel appliances, soapstone countertops, and installed a subway tile backsplash. We also added recessed lighting, pendants, and under-cabinet lighting throughout. Oh, and added a new addition (baby Lizzy) to the family just days before moving in. Whew. It’s been a wild ride. Now, onto before and afters!

Yes, that is the same house :) I am totally obsessed it.

There’s just something special about walking into a room that you’ve literally re-built from the ground up. Try it sometime.

The industrial vibe streaming from the pendants and metal stools makes me a little weak in the knees. And Oh Em Gee, that farmhouse sink.

I DIYed a no-sew roman shade for our atrium window. More on that soon :)

Shiny chrome faucet = happy wife.

Lets not even get started on the range wall. No wait, lets.

Subway tile to the ceiling. Best move yet. She beams from across the room…

We did a little custom work with the island, adding a wine fridge and built-in microwave. By far, Zoey’s favorite part of the room. Buttons! Ignore the sad door to the laundry room. Like I said, some small updates left.

And because the hubs worked his buns off on the electric work (along with pretty much everything else in the house) couldn’t get by without a pic of the lighting in action. :)

You can see our house lit up from a 3 miles down the road.

We’ll have an upcoming post sharing our money saving details along with sources and possibly a cost breakdown. But for now, just pics galore!

Don’t forget to check out how details on the material selection process!

88 thoughts on “Kitchen Progress

1. Momma Vicky Couch

Jess and Ricky, you are to be congratulated on a totally gorgeous piece of art! It is stunning and to think you did it all beginning shortly after the birth of little Lizzy, with Zoey underfoot. It is awesome and would inspire anyone to do a home improvement project! Congrats.

2. Pingback: Kitchen Sources | Cape 27

3. Pingback: Kitchen Cost Breakdown | Cape 27

4. Ellie

I love your kitchen! It’s completely amazing–especially that you were able to do it for 10k! I’ve been planning our kitchen reno for 4 years now and, sadly, we decided to move! I’m frustrated to never see my ideas in action. Anyway, I found your blog through 7th House on the Left and am following you. Love your style! Enjoy your kitchen!

Hi Ellie :)
      So sad that you won’t be able to see your ideas come to life. I felt the same way about a few things in our last home. Hopefully your next home has just as much potential!

5. Danielle

I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN.

I would love to know how you undermounted the domsjo as that is exactly what we want to do. Was it difficult???

Thanks Danielle!
      Undermounting the Domsjo sink is a manageable project for any do-it-youselfer. We googled for a few articles of guidance. I’m thinking an upcoming post with details on how we tackled the task? If not, I’ll email a more detailed guide.

6. Pingback: Centsational Girl » Blog Archive » BOTB 6.24.12

7. June

What a beautiful redesign. I saw your appliances are from Ikea. I’m really curious, are you happy with them?

Thanks June!
      We absolutely love our appliances from Ikea. We had our doubts originally after reading some not so great reviews, but we honestly have no complaints. The microwave took a little getting used to, with a turn dial as opposed to the traditional buttons. But nothing we ever disliked. Also, the fridge layout is a bit different. The shelving system isn’t as flexible as most refrigerators but again, nothing we didn’t get used to. Just an adjustment. Hope this helps!

2. Lemurific

I also have the same hood, but a different built in oven, and gas cooktop from Ikea. Besides the hood being noisy (but ALL are at that price point), I love them. The prices were cheaper than all else out there and they came with a warranty at no additional cost. They are made by whirlpool. Personally, I was not a fan of the dishwasher and the fridge. I just wanted different internal layouts that what they offered. The price of the fridge, though, was tough to beat, and was therefore were difficult to pass up. In the end, I got an amazing deal on Samsung dishwasher and fridge, sans the warranty. With the warranty, had I bought it, they probably would have been about 25% more expensive than the Ikea ones.

Lemurific-
        Thanks for expanding on the quality and performance of the appliances. Anyone else have experience with Ikea kitchen appliances? Feel free to chime in with advice!

8. apronless

Jessie, this kitchen is beautiful! We have an ikea kitchen too and went with the same cabinets (with different pulls). Your floor is beautiful and I think we even have the same vent hood. Ha! We’re all about the white subway tile too. Mmm, mmm, MMM. The counters were certainly worth the splurge and the flat faces on them look great.

Thanks Apronless :)
      It seems the Adel Ikea kitchens are all the rage right now! Seriously can’t beat their amazing prices. I’d love to see how your kitchen turned out!

9. Pingback: Bath Updates | Cape 27

10. Pat Mueller

I love the look and am wondering where the stools came from. who is the manufacturer or when can I find them?

Pat-
      The kitchen stools are from Overstock and can be found here. They’re actually on sale right now! Sources for any other kitchen related pieces can also be found here :)

11. Lemurific

Popped over from Centsational Girl. I love the kitchen reno and how you broke down your sources and prices. I also recently did a kitchen gut, and replaced them with Ikea cabinets. I love them and love that if you ever get sick of the style, you can just spend about 1k (or less) to change the doors and panels!

Also, in regards to the drama some time ago. You gave credit to your inspiration, which is what DIY bloggers do. I dug your art and was interested in purchasing something similar (cause I am not that great of a cutter). Guess what? I won’t be buying it from that etsy seller. If they seriously thought YOU were responsible for taking away their business, they are beyond foolish. Their art is not a science and not extremely novel. You would have brought them business. It is a shame they didn’t have the foresight. Kudos for you not dealing with foolhardy folks.

Lemurific-
      Yes, the versatile door fronts are by far one of our favorite features! So cost effective in the long run. Thank you so much for the kind words regarding the artwork. It amazes me how cruel people can be online, but it amazed me even more when so many amazing followers stood behind me. You guys are the best :)

12. Pingback: Makeover tjedna: kuhinja « mocca.design

13. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality

Loved finding your kitchen thru Kate’s link! Wow, great job. I am just now planning my Adel Ikea cabinet installation for my new kitchen & hope to get it going by August. Loved seeing how all of yours went together. I am doing some of the same elements, like the subway tile and dark floors. Love, love your kitchen!

Thank you Rhoda!
      Can’t wait to see how your kitchen turns out :) Side note, totally bummed that I missed out on Haven this year. Looked like SO. MUCH. FUN. Definitely count me in next year!

14. Rebecca Armitage

This looks incredible! It seems that Ikea kitchens are popping up all over the place recently – which I’m super pleased about (made it a lot easier to convince my hubs to go with it). We have been reno-ing our kitchen sine December, and I’m about ready to blow haha, 7 months is FAR too long to go without a kitchen. (especially since we’ve had EVERYTHING since January, just sitting around waiting to go in.) Such is life I suppose, eh? I recently changed my mind on our uppers, – I’d always wanted them to go all the way to the ceiling, but since we were going with the cheapest Harlig, they didn’t come in the 39′s, so I sided with money, instead of what I really wanted, and now I’ve changed my mind and we are having to get new uppers. I guess that’s another downside of taking 7 months to complete projects, you have WAAAAY to much time to change your mind haha. Anyway! I should stop rambling, and get to the question I had for you. I like the finished look of the top of your uppers, is that just tiny moulding, or a piece of quarter round type dealeo, or did it come with the cupboards? It’s perfect simplicity.

Rebecca,
      Oh that is entirely too long to go without a kitchen! You have my sympathies :) Just imagine what a treat it will be when you get a brand new kitchen though! As far as the cabinets go, the top piece that sits between the ceiling and cabinets is from Ikea. It’s called deco strip, and can be used as a cabinet cornice. Check it out here. You can tell them when ordering kitchen cabinets that you’d like to have it included and they’ll set you up with the right sizes :) Hope this helps.

1. Rebecca

Thanks for the info, it looks like they have them at my closest store, and since I’ve (almost) convinced the hubs that the taller uppers is the way to go, this seems like the perfect solution

15. Pingback: Laundry/ Mudroom Eye Candy | Cape 27

16. Pingback: friday favorites : blogger homes, objects of art, to-do lists |

17. Tracy

It’s really gorgeous! Love the color choices, the style of the cabinets, pulls, mix of cabinet styles (glass and wood), subway tiles…..all of it!

18. Teresa

I am hopelessly in love with your kitchen… as in I a pinning it as a dream kitchen. Nice work. I can picture this kitchen in action with my family so easily!!

19. MissFifi

Absolutely terrific job. As someone who is not a big fan of white kitchens, yours is superb!!! Came over from Young House Love and will now be bookmarking your site.

20. Kristen

Your kitchen looks like its right out of a magazine. So gorgeous! Also, I love the way you accessorized. Just wondering where you found the dish towel.

Thanks Kristen!
      The dish towel is from Crate & Barrel, although I’m not seeing it on their website anymore.

21. R

Such a beautiful kitchen!! I’m locking your pictures away in my ‘to remember’ brain file for when I build my house of dreams!

22. rhoda @ Southern Hospitality

Beautiful kitchen!! I just finished up an Ikea Adel kitchen too & only have the subway tile backsplash left to do. Loved all the details you added in, it looks fantastic. I know you are as happy with your kitchen as I am with mine. You can’t beat it for the price. I’m going to read all your kitchen posts. Trying to figure out how you got by with less $$ for the cabinets than I did. Mine came out around $4200 and looks like we have about the same amount of cabinets. I got in on the sale too! Anyway, looks great, congrats on a wonderful kitchen renovation.

23. Tiffany

Um… for me, jealous is an UNDER-STATEMENT! Wow does this look beautiful. I love the subway tile and especially that fabric! Great job. I can’t wait for your post on the roman shade b/c I so need two of them for my kitchen : )

24. Pingback: Galley Kitchen Remodel | The Fork and Knife

25. Chip

Beautiful kitchen!

Quick question: What did you use to cover the sides of the island? Did you cut those covers panels yourself and if so what paint did you use to match the adel off white?

Thanks!

Thanks Chip,
      We used cover panels from Ikea, so no painting involved. I believe they’re 8′ pieces, and we just cut them down to size. Hope this helps!

26. Pingback: $20 DIY Pallet Wall | Cape 27

27. Megan

So beautiful! We are looking into beautify-ing our kitchen, and our lkiving room, kitchen, dining room areas seem to be set up pretty much the same as yours. Do you have a picture of how the kitchen looks from the front door? How the areas come together? Thanks!

Thanks Megan!
      The third “new kitchen” picture down in this post is actually an accurate shot from the front door. When you enter the house you’re looking nearly straight on at the kitchen window. Hope that clears things up!

28. Casey

Love the kitchen. How wide is your island? It looks wider than the 25″ butcher block you linked to at Lumber Liquidators. Did you connect two pieces together?

29. lwarm79

Not sure if you check the comments. But I am in love with your kitchen!! You did an amazing job! Can you share the dimensions of your kitchen? I am looking to copy yours and would like to see how it compares to the space i’ll be renovating .

Thanks

Yep, every single one :) Our kitchen is about 18′W x 10′L. Hope that helps and good luck with the reno!

30. Pingback: My kitchen inspiration and a quick before and after

31. katmerry

Such a gorgeous job you two did! I love! I’m curious about how the off-white adel cabs mixed with the white subway tile. Obviously it looks fabulous in the pictures! Just wondering if you used a pure white tile with the off-white cabs, or if you chose an off-white tile? Appreciate any thoughts you have. And again – fabulous job!

32. Maya

Your kitchen is so beautiful. All of the elements you have are exactly the look we are going for. We’re about to start our kitchen upgrade. I couldn’t be more excited!

Hi Shannon!

Not sure if we posted about that process or not, but yes, we did install the Ikea cabinets ourselves. Thanks to the wall rail that they provide it was a pretty simple install. Good luck!

33. Pingback: Before & After: New Life for a Ranch Kitchen | Reliable Floor Coverings

34. Pingback: I Spy | Little House Design

35. bozark

I know this has been a while so you may not remember, but do you know how much space you left on either side of your stove between the cabinets? I’m in the middle of our kitchen reno and there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on this. We have the same stove and range hood as you. Did you leave a larger than 30″ opening between the base cabinets? What about the countertop? It would be so helpful to know. Your kitchen is gorgeous!

We actually didn’t leave any extra allowance for the stove or countertop. Both run directly up to the stove itself, which has a small lip that sits on top of the counter. We haven’t run into any issues with it so far! Hope that helps!

36. Pingback: Planning a new Kitchen | Oh Everything Handmade

The soapstone countertops are excellent! We’re still loving them just as much today :) They are soft, which is widely known for soapstone, but we haven’t had any issues so far!

37. Pingback: Five Inspiring Kitchen Makeovers And Remodels (Before & After)

38. Jessica

Hey Jessie! We’re also considering doing an ikea kitchen. Do you like the white and are you glad you did white? I have 3 kids and we will have more children, I’m not so worried that I’ll have to clean them once a week or biweekly but that anytime my kids walk through touch or even look at the nice white kitchen it’ll be dirty. Do have problems keeping it clean and am I crazy for thinking white with a big family???

Hi Jessica! Yes, we LOVE the white. I can’t speak for all white cabinets, but the Ikea line is super easy to keep clean, even with our three little ones. I wipe them down every week or two, which is hardly necessary. Stains come off so easily, and if I ever have a tough one, a magic eraser takes care of it. I feel like a darker color would get banged up/chipped and be harder to disguise. Seriously, one of the best decisions in our kitchen.

39. Jennifer

I’m just wondering if you ever put any trim on the bottom of the cabinets. Part of what makes the IKEA cabinets look so…IKEA…is that deco strip along the bottom with the cover panels that hang down on the sides. I love how yours look with out that, and that is what I envision for our project that is in the works right now. Did you plan it that way because it looks great!