July 10, 2012

Pinterest Challenge

If you aren’t familiar with the Pinterest Challenge, it’s a little less formal than it sounds. Basically just a super fun way to encourage yourself to pull yourself away from the addicting site that Pinterest is, and actually.. wait for it… DO something that you pinned. Crazy concept right? I’m so down for this brilliant challenge thought up by duh, Sherry & Katie. And considering that I only have about 70 pins on my “DIY board” alone, deciding which project to tackle only took me a few hours ;) And this winner is…

A growth chart for the kiddos, decked out in all it’s rustic-ness. The best part, it hangs right on the wall so you can easily take it with you to the next house or simply another space in your home. We’d be number two on that list. No moving here. This house is a lifer.

So, despite how fairly simple this project turned out to be, I spent at least six to eight months eyeing it on Pinterest before taking the leap. And to be completely honest, it would’ve most likely been another four without this challenge. I’ll walk through a few of the steps we took to get from “a 2×10 piece of wood on the shelf at Lowes” to “growth chart awesomeness”.

First up, cutting the wood to the correct length. We knew that we wanted ours to sit a few inches off the floor (enough to allow for the 4inch baseboard plus a few inches above that). We went with six inches off the floor and cut the board at an even six feet. That allows for a max height of 6’6. Lets be real here people, 6’6 is re-donk-ulous. I tap out at nearly 5’3 and Rick is a tall 5’6.. and we’re not the short one’s our families. Plus, lets just give the girls the benefit of the doubt and say they reach six foot someday. Who in the world still measures they’re kids’ heights when they’re over six feet tall? Please don’t let us be those parents.

Moving on. Sanding and staining. Since this piece is meant for the kids’ use and will be in their reach at any given point throughout the day we made sure to make it nice and smooth. Rick sanded it down with 80 grit sand paper and applied a single coat of our fav, Minwax’s Dark Walnut.

We thought about beating it up a little, taking a few chains or hammers to it. You know, some distressing to go with the rustic feel. But… we got lazy and called it a day. HOWEVER, we think that’d be a totally cool look if you’re up for the additional five minutes of labor ;)

We let the stain cure overnight before I hit it up with some black paint and sharpie. Really, I don’t know I’m doing a “tutorial” on this. It’s self-explanatory. I used a sharpie to mark the inches and basic black acrylic paint to stencil the numbers.

A few hours later and several coats of water-based poly and ta-dah. Pinterest Challenge DOMINATED.

In Love.

Head on over to check out the other challengers here! Any others get their pinterest on this week? Feel free to link to your own projects. I’d love to see what you guys have come up with :)

Obsessed with Pinterest as much as I am? Follow me here!

21 thoughts on “Pinterest Challenge

1. Kelly

I have been wanting to do this as well! Yours is great. Here is probably a silly question: How did you hang it on the wall? Thanks!

Hi Kelly!
      Not a silly question at all. We actually contemplated this for a while before deciding to just use three screws (top, middle, and bottom) to secure it to the stud behind the wall. The screws are a dark finish so they’re barely noticeable. You can catch a glimpse of one in the last pic on the very right beside the number four. Hope this helps!

2. Dawn

Looks great! I’ve been wanting to make one of these also. I have a question for you though. Did you worry about the 1ft mark being exactly 1ft from the ground, or did you just go from the bottom of the board up one foot? I can’t decide which would be best?? Form or function!? :)

Thanks Dawn,
      We did actually place the 1 ft mark exactly 1 ft from the ground. Not a simple task AT ALL. That board is heavy. You wouldn’t necessarily have to do this though. The other way would definitely be easier… then again it would be about 6 inches off, ha! Personal preference I guess :)

3. Alicia

I have pinned this with the plan to get around to it a million times and haven’t done so yet. Yours turned out great! Maybe it will motivate me to do ours!

4. Carrie

I made this, too! But I’m lame and finished it over 6 months ago and still haven’t hung it. Yours looks awesome!

5. Sarah A

This looks lovely! Do you write the date and age of your girls on it with a sharpie? Does it show up well over the poly?

We’ve actually yet to mark their heights on it, haha. We do plan to just use a sharpie though. Should show up just fine. We’ll check back with details :)

1. Sarah A

Thanks for inspiring me to do this and showing me how. I used a 1×6 (and wish now I had used 1×8 or 1×10) and used a silver sharpie for the lines and numbers. It’s a work of art – now I have to transfer the heights currently marked in pencil on a hidden doorway upstairs. I think I’ll just do an annual mark in black on this (11-year-old is already 5 feet tall – he was concerned that it only reaches 6.5 feet, but I’m confident he won’t be NBA height!)

6. kcbefeler

Thank you for doing this tutorial! Not only did you inspire me to make this myself, but I referred to your photos over and over again. I used a piece of fairly rough hickory and the same walnut stain (we have the same finish on our floors). I’m super excited to hang it (well, not so much to actually hang it). I was also going to ask about marking heights over the poly. I think I might have used a thicker board (just to make hanging it that much more fun, ha), so I was considering painting the left edge white. Then I could just make tick marks on the edge and it would ensure they would be really visible. Otherwise I was going to mark on the front (or the edge) with a silver metallic sharpie. Urgh, I can’t decide… I think I’m going to have to test some options on the back. I would ideally like to use a pencil for that authentic, mark your height in a doorway feel, but it probably won’t show up. Anyway, thanks again for the tutorial!

Hi Felicity!

We actually considered using a 1x instead of the 2x. I don’t see the harm. If anything, it’ll be easier to hang with the lighter weight! The 2x is pretty massive.

7. Pingback: DIY Wood Growth Chart | Enjoying Now

8. Brittany

I, too, loved this on YHL’s house crashing post :) I want to attempt this project myself in the coming week, but had few quick questions that I didn’t see answered in the comments above: 1. What kind of black paint did you use (i.e. craft paint, interior latex paint, etc.)? 2. Did you make your own stencils for the numbers (if so, did you just find a font you liked, print them off on cardstock and cut them out with an xacto knife?) or did you buy them somewhere? Thanks for the insight and inspiration!

9. Pingback: 10 Super Simple DIY Projects | House. Food. Baby.