January 16, 2013

Bring It.

Yikes, we’re halfway through January. How did that happen? We’ve been chatting it up about building an addition onto the house this coming spring, and whoa.. It’s almost here. Time to kick the planning stages into high gear. I’m going to do my best to stay on top of things this time around. Last time we took on a major renovation (kitchen, bath, entire house combo) I kind of left you guys in the dark and came back with 40 posts worth of catching up. That won’t happen this time. (virtual hand shake) So, in an attempt to stay true to my word, today I’m sharing our first take at planning this ole’ addition. Let’s start by getting everyone on the same page. Here’s how the house is looking, as of now.

Planning an Addition | Cape27Blog.com

Most of you are already familiar with the kitchen, dining room, and living room. And just to clear up any confusions, ‘bedroom 4’ is Lizzy’s nursery, ‘bedroom 3’ is Zoey’s bedroom, and ‘bedroom 2’ is our temporary master bedroom. Moving to the back, the ‘family’ room is currently hoarding an embarrassing amount of children’s toys (time to purge) and the ‘master bedroom’ is filled to the brim with storage boxes that need to make their way into the attic. Essentially, the entire back of the house is currently an epic waste of space.

What do we plan to do about it? Well, we knew when we bought the house that it wouldn’t be enough room for our growing family. I’m going to go ahead and put this out there – We’re not stopping at two. We also plan to stay in the house for as long as possible, and it doesn’t have a basement. So, yes, we could make do with the space that we currently have. It’s a generously sized home. But we budgeted an allowance to expand and live more comfortably. Nothing crazy, just a little extra breathing room. So expand we will. Here’s what we’re thinking.

Planning an Addition | Cape27Blog.com

The main thing that really pushed us towards the idea of expanding the home came straight from our first house– entering the home and finding yourself smack dab in the middle of the living room. Hated it in our first house, hate it in this house. It was actually on our “want list” when house hunting, to have an designated entry/foyer. And then I saw this house, with all it’s glowing potential. Not to mention, a second family room that all the other similar homes lacked (which will serve as the main living area and allow for more of an entry in the front living room), a generously sized laundry/mudroom (the angels sung), and a fourth bedroom (even if it is 10×10). We knew when looking to buy a house, that we’d be building an addition on pretty much any home we found, for extra living space and a fourth bedroom. The older ranch homes around here just don’t have more than one living space and three bedrooms. Can’t find it. So, when we saw this pretty gal, we thought “Hey, building an addition at half the size planned? Where do we sign?” Or something like that.

So, essentially we’re planning to take the existing rear wall of the home and move it back 10 feet. Weekend project, right? Ha. This new layout will double the family room size, slightly expand the master bedroom, and allow space for a brand new master bath and walk-in closet. Oh, and just like the we did in the rest of the house, we’ll be adding new flooring, running new electric, etc., along with a few new things like replacing the existing ceilings (fun plans here). Really, the to-do list in here could go on for days. I won’t.

Planning an Addition | Cape27Blog.com

Let’s talk bedroom and bath first. We decided to add a little extra space to the master, but ultimately decided that we don’t need a HUGE master bedroom. We’d like to get a king-size bed in there, a small sitting area, and a dresser. That’s about it. No need to spend money on wasted space.

Now, the actual layout of the closet/ bath area are still up in the air. We’ve been flip flopping the two, trying to come up with a layout that makes the most sense. And, although it’s not included in this floor plan below, there will be a bathroom window somewhere. We can’t decide if it’d be better to have a separate shower and bathtub, or skip the tub altogether and have a larger shower. We had a soaker tub in our last house– it was awesome… I used it (maybe) four times. In my defense, we only lived with it for something like six months. So, while it may be totally rad to have a tub (and with several kids down the road, possibly the only place I have to escape to), is it worth the extra mulah and the loss of square footage? What do you guys think?

In the family room, we’re just adding more space, and hopefully a fireplace. That all comes down to budget. Here’s hoping we can work it in. We want this space to be family-central. We’ve never had a living room that can seat more than five or six people, and that needs to end, now. We both come from large families and we’re dying to entertain. We’re hoping to use our existing sectional sofa, a few arm chairs, and a game table of some sort. It’ll be a work in progress, just like the rest of our home. Don’t expect any crazy, HGTV weekend turn-around times.

So, panning out and assuming all goes as planned (haha, that always happens)… this is how we should be looking by the end of the summer.

Planning an Addition | Cape27Blog.com

Bring it.

Also, for any of you planners out there wondering, we used floorplanner.com to draw up these rough sketches of our home. It’s 100% free for a single account, and you can save your designs to edit later. We love it. You should too. (not paid or perked info, just sharing the love).

29 thoughts on “Bring It.

1. amybiddy

I guess I’m still wondering what you’re going to do about the entry way. I LOVE the idea of creating one, but will it be something that you have to build out? (I saw a nice closet built in to a living room once so that they could break up the space and it worked and gave them extra storage for guests coats and what not.) Very excited for you guys!!

We’re thinking something pretty basic for the entryway. Possibly putting the long wall (that the desk is currently on) to work. There’s always the mudroom for most of our outerwear, shoes, etc. We’ll keep everyone posted!

2. Jenny

Looks awesome! I will be so excited to follow along in this journey. :) Also I think a soaker tub would be a great addition and so wonderful after a long day chasing 3 or more little ones around!

3. FelicitaFelicita

The plans look awesome! If you can do the tub and separate shower – do it!!! it will eliminate any regrets later down the road of “I should’ve gotten that tub”. Can’t wait to see the progress!

I’m so afraid of those regrets! Especially after how much we LOVED the tub in our last home. It’d be a shame down the road, since there’s nooo way we’re re-doing anything, ha.

You know we’ll keep everyone updated as we take on the entryway :) We’re thinking something simple, yet functional. We’ll always have the mudroom for major storage central.

4. Brianne

Great plans! We are starting a master bath reno next week (also in Cincinnati) and opted to yank out the crazy big/encased in white 4×4 tile jetted tub that was hot in the 90s and not replace it. A big, slightly more tricked out shower felt more useful and lux for us. Although a nice soaker tub does sound like a good place to hide from wee ones…

Agreed :) We’re always trying to keep re-sale in mind.. as much as I hate to think of packing it all up again, haha.

5. Cassondra

I’m excited to see how this goes! We’ve debated an addition to our master bedroom which would add a walk-in closet and ensuite bathroom…so it’ll be nice to see how smoothly an addition can go.

We’ll do our best to make this addition go smoothly. No promises, ha! Maybe you can at least learn from any mistakes we run into :)

Great idea! We’ve looked into the plumbing, and it won’t make a huge difference, but I like the layout better if we can make it work. Thanks, Melissa!

6. Laura

I was thinking the same as Melissa about plumbing… or if you put it backed up to Bedroom 2, you could have a window in the bath, still without too much extra plumbing. Plus, that would give you 2 exterior walls for the bedroom, which would greatly increase your windows and light potential. The closet could back up to the existing bath. Just a thought…

Yes! Love this. Hoping we can make this new floor plan work, as I’d love additional light in the bedroom! Thank you!

7. Erin

So very excited for you. Ah, the possibilities! I can’t wait to follow along. You have so many great ideas. And now I feel better knowing where you hide all the toys. I always wonder if they are hidden somewhere out of the way of the camera lens (in virtually all if the blogs i follow) or if other people really are that much better than me about controlling the toys of the little ones.

Haha, oh yea. We have a serious toy issue, just like most parents. Don’t let the photos in the blogosphere fool you, haha. When Lizzy and Zoey eventually share a room, we’re planning to scale back the toys and go crazy with an organized playroom. In time :)

8. Sally

Can you save space by putting the showerhead over the tub? Or is a soaker tub too deep? Agree with consolidating the plumbing if you can. Good luck, look forward to following your progress!

We considered doing this. It’d definitely save on space. I’m just a sucker for the separate spaces!

9. Kim

We have a jetted tub in our teeny, tiny “master” bath with a shower head above – not a separate shower. It’s a one person tub, obviously, but I use it a lot in the winter as my escape from kids! Plus a smaller jetted tub isn’t as big a waste of water. It’s our only tub in the house so the kids use it, too. The only thing to watch for is the gunk buildup from shampoos and conditioners – but we clean the jets often with a bleach mixture according to tub instructions.

Exactly what I was thinking! A nice escape to wind down at the end of the day. We have the tub in the kids’ bath though, so I just don’t want to go overboard and waste money.. Decisions, decisions ha.

10. becca

I think you should skip the tub and put in a super nice shower. With all the little kids running around you won’t have time to use the tub anyway.

11. Meagan

I like the idea of moving the bath against the bedroom 2 wall. Also, if you could access the closet from inside the bath, not a door from the bedroom, you would gain valuable wall space in the bedroom especially if it has more windows.

We’ve considered this, just not sure if the closet off the bathroom is the right move for us. It’s definitely an option :)

12. [email protected]

Thanks for letting us know it’s floorplanner.com. I was just about to ask you where you designed your floor plan layout. :)