Last week I shared a tutorial covering part one of our upholstered banquette seat in the dining room. Today, I’d planned to share part two. Turns out, I used the exact same process, to a tee. So… that would leave for one incredibly boring and repetitive post if I were to cover it again. Instead, I’ll just share some after shots along with ‘befores’ (dating back to this time last year), and a quick recap of the progress we’ve made so far. And you can check out tips and tricks on how I did all of the upholstering by referring back to this post.
First, the before. Just minutes after closing on our house. (Feb. 2012)
Here’s the view looking straight into the dining space from the kitchen (below). Cray-cray.
Hours after closing we went into full-on demo mode. It looked a little like this, minus all the electrical wire pulled. Pretty sure this is the point at which Ricky went into a mini panic attack.
We had to do some maneuvering of the walls to accommodate our bench seat/built-ins plans, as well as our 8′ long dining table. I know what you’re thinking… Who does that for a piece of furniture? The girl who’s dad built her a kick-a$$ dining table, that’s who.
I’m pretty sure I’ve covered the cove ceiling saga before, but just in case, here’s a quick run down. The dining room had them, the kitchen did not. Once we removed the header separating the two spaces, it was either add cove to the kitchen, or remove it from the dining space. Obviously, we chose the latter of the two. I LOVED the cove, and we still have it in the living/entry space and hallway, but it was going to cause more problems than good if we put it in the kitchen too. Moving on.
New flooring and installing the base cabinets for the built-ins.
Then we fudged up by installing upper cabinets.
But redeemed ourselves by replacing them with open shelving and installing crown molding!
I had a great time DIYing a little stencil art.
While Ricky began constructing the frame for the banquette seat.
Finally, I tackled upholstering the seat cushions.
Which leave us with today!
And the completed banquette 🙂
We still have a few more updates in mind. And you know me, I’ll always be swapping decor in and out.
I’m thinking, new rug (this one is just a temporary fill-in from our previous house), DIYing a light fixture someday, and craiglisting our current chairs for others we’ve had our eyes on (hoping to do this sooner rather than later!).
So there we are. The evolution (so far) of our dining room. Not a bad place to be in after a year in our home. It sat on the back burner for quite some time, as we tackled other projects in the house. So it feels so good to finally be calling this one mostly done.