April 4, 2013

Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial

When we first bought our home, just over a year ago, I was immediately drawn to all of it’s potential – possibilities for an open floor plan, one floor living, and enough outdated finishes to go around. One thing we’ve really enjoyed bringing into the home is character. Things like crown molding, solid-core craftsman doors, beadboard in the bathroom, and built-ins galore. I love ranch style homes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t infuse a few other styles as well. My all-time favorite upgrade we’ve made, that isn’t so “typical ranch”, is craftsman-inspired door trim. I say inspired because we’re definitely not experts, and who knows if we’re doing anything by the books here, but we really love the look and hope you guys can gain some inspiration from it too!

I’m almost positive that the only time I’ve shown our door trim here on the blog was while featuring our new front door. Which is a shame. Seriously. It’s beautiful, and I’m a little perplexed at what’s taken me so long to write this post.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

I mean, it’s everywhere in our house. Yet, somehow I’ve mistakenly hidden it.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

The day we finished trimming out the all the bedroom doors in the hallway was a little like Christmas for me.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

I love the simplicity, yet bulkiness of it all. And pair it with our new three-panel doors and we’re in business.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

So, since we’re in the midst of remodeling the laundry room, which just so happens to have FOUR doors, I thought it’d be a good time to share the whole process in action! It’s crazzy easy. Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

First up, a look at the wood selection. (twss)

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

We used three different sizes to frame out the entire door, as illustrated above. Rather than try to describe where each piece was used and probably lose everyone in the process, I’ll just show pics. It’s not rocket science ;)

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

Ricky did most all of the work here, and after a little trial and error, he found it easiest to start by assembly the two side pieces.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

And instead of following up with the top portion directly to the wall, he built it independently first. A nail gun got the job done here.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

And he was left with this.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

Slap that guy up at the top of your door frame anddd voila! Instant character.

Simple Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial | Cape27Blog.com

Easy enough?

Obviously, we still have painting to do here, which we’re holding off on until all the trim work is done, but you guys get the picture. I love all these finishing touches. The end is in sight!

33 thoughts on “Craftsman Door Trim Tutorial

1. Molly Hart

Love it! I was trying to go with the headers in my home but by the time I put up crown, it was too much and not enough paint showing! PS- Where did you get your living room light!? Its exactly what I want and the one I found at Lowes is being discontinued :(

2. Meg Griswold

This is so great! I now know what those are called–since we have them all over our house! All of our doors have them, and I think they are original (our house was built in 1935). There is visible chipped paint under the current coat, so I am pretty sure they’re old. Thanks for educating me on that design element that we already have!

3. Monica

Love this Jessie! It’s so simple it’s almost frustrating that I haven’t done this to all my doors! Haha! Question- what about trim (or baseboards… whatever they are supposed to be called!!).. does that match the thickness of the craftsman door trim? Is it as simple as the doors are? Are you going to put a tutorial up on that? I’m still working on my bedroom for the mood board you made me! Can’t wait to show you when it’s done! Painting is taking me the longest with all the trim and vaulted ceilings!

Thanks, Monica!

We haven’t installed baseboards just yet, but we’re planning to do something simple as well. We’ll definitely post more details about it as we go :) Can’t wait to the see your bedroom! Still one of my favorite mood boards to date!

4. Lisa

Love. Love. Love. your front room. You did such a great job combining colors and patterns. I’m loving the craftsman look on the doors.

5. Cristina

Can you tell me where you got the light that is in your hallway? I’ve been looking for a vintage-y schoolhouse ceiling light like that. I looked through all your sources and couldn’t find it. Thanks!

Hi Christina,
      Yep, I haven’t listed the source anywhere just yet, sorry! The hallway light is from Restoration Hardware – the semi-flushmount schoolhouse light. Hope that helps!

6. Michelle

Perfect timing! I decided to start with my bedroom and rip out my 47 year old trim last weekend while painting and came to the sudden realization that I had no idea how to recreate the craftsman look I wanted (and admired from your home). Thank you so much for this simple tutorial!

7. Stephanie

Love the upgraded trim – looks great! I may have missed it but do you recall the brand & color of your door? Looking for a good yellow/mustard and it’s proving hard to find – thanks in advance!

8. July Garden

Hi Jessie, I recently started following your blog and I’m glad I did. Your home is such an inspiration. My home was also built in the 50′s. Our first home was built in the 20s and I always liked the craftsman style trim but I wasn’t sure if it would go in my home now. Seeing it in your home made me realize I can. Thanks for the great tutorial.

9. Pingback: Friday Links

10. Pingback: Sparks and Recreation - Home Keeping Basics

11. Mrs Patty

I just love your blog! Question…what will you be doing for the baseboard and molding trim? will you do something similar in craftsman style? I’m wanting to do the same thing and would love to see what you are doing next (so I can copy it of course- ha)!

We’ll definitely share the specifics on the baseboards and moldings as we tackle it, but we’re thinking something wide, yet simple. Should be in the very near future!

12. Tracey

What do you do about trimming out that door that’s too close to the adjacent wall to allow for casing? Pictured to the left of the door being worked on… I have the same problem and can’t figure out how to make it look finished!

13. Gen

Love, love, love the door trim! I also have a house built in the 1950s and would like to replace ALL of my trim with Craftsman style. What kind of wood did you use?

14. Pingback: White Wood Planked Walls + Mint Ceiling - Cape 27

15. Mary j

What is the measurement for the overhang on the wider boards? I am copying yo exactly but cant decide how much wider I do the 3/4 x 2 an the1/2 x 2. Thank you! You are the inspiration!

16. Pingback: Mascara for the Doors | This Sarah Loves

17. Erin

I found you on pinterest. I would love to do this but do you have to tear out the existing door frame to begin with? Thanks.

18. hanna

Where did you get your yellow rug in the living? We have a gray couch and are looking for a similar rug. Thanks!