April 11, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

When we first began contemplating Ikea’s Adel cabinets for our kitchen remodel, I’ll admit I had a few reservations. One of those being, the glass upper cabinets. With Ikea’s cabinets, the specific door style/color determines the type of glass. And with each color, comes a different glass type. Check out their styles here to see what I mean. And with the Adel cabinets that we preferred in the white finish, that glass style had a ribbed/bubble-ish finish. It’s not good.. at all.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

In fact, I despised it. But we convinced ourselves that we’d eventually swap out the glass (somehow) and took the plunge.

One year later, and we finally worked up the courage to make the switch. This project definitely falls into the category of those “Why didn’t we do this earlier??” changes. And I really want to emphasize how crazy easy and inexpensive this was, because I know just how awful that glass appears and how quickly it can turn potential buyers down. We were almost those buyers.

First, let’s take a look at the back of the cabinet.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

Basically a small piece of wood trim (maybe z shaped?) holds the glass in place, while disguising the unfinished edges of the cabinet.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

When you look up close in person, you can see a few small nails holding that piece of trim in place. They’re a few inches apart and super tiny. Removing them was about as easy as it gets. I just used a small knife I had on hand, but anything strong with a very slim blade will work, and slid it under the trim.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

Gently bend it inwards and the trim slowing begins to detach. Once you have a few nail sections removed you could probably just use your hands to pull it away, but since we were planning to reuse the material I stuck with the knife, in fear that I might snap the trim.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

Here you can see just how tiny the nails are. They are impossible to grip and remove, so we just hammered them in a bit, level to the surface.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

Once you have all the trim removed, which took me about 15 minutes for all four cabinet doors, they’ll start to look like this. Then you’ll want to use a razor knife around the edges of the glass, to separate it from the silicone adhesive.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

Replacing the old glass with a clear glass is just about as easy as reversing the previous steps. We picked up our new glass doors from Home Depot for about $7 each (they’ll cut them to size, free of charge, if you have your dimensions handy). The employee that we spoke with said that this specific glass is typically used for frames, so it’s definitely thinner than the previous glass. We aren’t particularly rough on the cabinets, plus they have dampers (no slamming), so they’re working just fine for us. Just something to consider if that’s not your case.

We used this clear silicone to reattach the new glass to the cabinets as well as reattaching the trim pieces back to the cabinet. You’ll want to go slow with this step, as not to over glue, but you can always chip away excess with a razor knife after everything dries.

Now, before I show the after pics (with a spoiler), let’s talk about the second half of this post! I’ve been dying to get my hands on the back of these glass cabinets ever since we first purchased them. And replacing the old glass with a clear version was the perfect opportunity to showcase something fun. So we went with painting the backs with color! I mulled over a few options, but ultimately decided that I preferred the look of only the back of the cabinet painted, versus the sides and shelves as well.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

I simply taped off the edges and rolled on a few coats of paint (I used the $6 sample pints from Sherwin Williams). And for the sake of keeping things real, I’ll show you my first attempt at a fun color… SW-Melange Green. I thought green was the way to go, and maybe it was, but not this shade.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

It was fluorescent. Not exactly what I was going for. The next day I quickly painted over it with a color I already had on hand (go figure) from painting our kitchen step stool – Ben Moore’s Yellow Brick Road. I’m fully convinced that yellow works better in the space. There are already a number of green accessories, so the yellow is a nice break. It actually look a little brighter here than the green, but that’s just the camera playing tricks on you. Plus, it tames down when the doors are closed, shelves are in, and dishes are in place.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

Speaking of, we also swapped out the glass shelves with solid white ones.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

Andddd…. Here’s how we’re looking now!

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

I’m in love with the white dishes popping off the yellow background. And hello! You can finally see into the cabinets! The left cabinet has all of our daily dishes in it, and the right is more for larger mixing and serving bowls.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

I’m not really liking the color on color of the right cabinet, so I’m thinking of mixing in a few white pieces with a few colorful pieces on each side. We’ll see. I’m sure it’s something that I’ll play around with over time.

Paint the Backs of Kitchen Cabinets | Cape27Blog.com

Either way… SO much better than the before pic.

Replace Adel Cabinets With Clear Glass | Cape27Blog.com

42 thoughts on “Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

1. Jena

Jessie, the new glass and the yellow paint look awesome! I keep playing around with the idea of painting the insides of our glass cabinets a fun color, but I haven’t been able to pull the trigger yet. Love how yours turned out!

2. emily @ go haus go

Wow! So, so good! I always wondered why IKEA was so strict on the glass/cabinet duo when they are so flexible with nearly everything else! Good to know there’s a fix now! You should post this to IKEA Hackers!

3. Katja @ Shift Ctrl Art

What a fantastic makeover. And what a terrific upgrade to those cabinets. I am also not a fan of that glass they put in the Adel cabinets. Love your solution and it looks so much better with the white shelves as well.

4. Chaney

The new glass really does look fabulous!! For the new glass, does HD sell you a large sheet that you then cut to size (similar to the way you buy wood there that they’ll cut to size)? What a great resource!

Yep, they sell it in large sheets and then cut it down for you in store to your dimensions. So awesome!

5. wendy b.

WOW! I thought I loved your kitchen before but WOW! I want to have coffee every morning in a kitchen that cheerful! LOVE IT!!!

6. Brittany Walsh

LOVE the after pictures! SO awesome :) How do you like your Ikea cabinets. We are contemplating getting those for a kitchen remodel, but my hubby thinks the quality will be too cheap. What are your thoughts as far as how they’ve held up for you?

Not a SINGLE bad thing to say about Ikea cabinets. With two little ones and a busy family, they’ve gotten plenty of use in the past year. We’d recommend them to anyone :)

7. Erin

OMG so fun and cheery!!! And such a quick and easy upgrade! Don’t you hate when you realize how you put things off only to realize how easy it was??

8. JamesB

just started following the blog really enjoy it, great post with the kitchen, though I think a more neutral color might work better for inside the cabinets. possibly the grey color used above the kitchen drapes or even a light sage type color.

Thanks James! We actually considered doing a neutral gray, something along the lines of the wall color. It’s definitely an easy switch, so it might be a color we try out in the future. We’ll see :)

9. Vicky Couch

Wow, what a difference the yellow makes! I love it…sooo much brighter. The clear glass is a definite improvement. Great color choice. I wonder if I could do this with my kitchen cabinets? Orange or perhaps red? hmmmm

10. Kathryn

That looks so gorgeous! I am incredibly jealous. Here’s kind of a weird question for you–how do you get the bowls on the far right, middle shelf to stack so you can see all of them peeking out? I assume they’re the Crate and Barrel stacking set (or something similar). I have a set as well, and I’d love to show off all of the colors.

Haha, I love this question because I struggled to find this out myself for SO long. Not sure where I ultimately found this solution, but I use small styrofoam squares between the bowls to get them to stack farther apart. You could really use anything small enough that’ll sit flat. Crate and Barrel does something similar in there store displays, take a peek!

11. Lucy

Great renovation! All your kitchen pics are just adorable.I can see “How small changes can make huge differences”. Jessie! “you are a true interior design fanatic”.

12. Whitney

Oh, so glad I found this post! I was stressing about that ugly glass SO MUCH that I completely redesigned without it. Bookmarking immediately. :)

13. Natalie Williams

Such a creative and beautiful idea! I am new to your blog and love your design style. Question though – I recently renovated my kitchen (also with Adel doors haha), and we have the exact same layout around the range hood with 2 cabinets on either side. The only difference is we have the french window design. But now that everything is installed we realize that when you open the cabinet door next to the range hood the glass touches the corner of the range. This is no big deal it just means we have to be very careful so the glass doesn’t crack/shatter. Did you have this problem? And if so, did you do anything to fix it? I am thinking a chain that limits how much the door opens but am wondering if there is a better way?

Thanks Natalie :)

Yes, we have the same issue with our glass cabinet doors bumping into the range hood. We aren’t super rough on the doors, so we aren’t overly concerned with it.. Maybe once the girls are a bit older and are using them as well, we may have to reconsider. We’ve considered plexiglass as an alternative! A chain seems like a good option too!

14. Mary J

Mind if I ask where your stove is from? I need an eletric stove, but I want the handles in the front and they are hard to come by.

Thanks!