April 24, 2013

Lovin’ on Summer Nights

Last year we whipped up an art solution for the dining room, and as if that entire process wasn’t enough of a headache, we were still on the fence about the end result. I loved the pattern that the stencil brought to the space, but it still seemed a bit boring. The proportions weren’t right either. I had hoped for a piece that was wider, to better fill the space between the open shelves, but we struggled to find large enough paper to fit the bill. And strike three – I love color, but green wasn’t the way to go. I really wanted something deeper, with dimension to draw you into that back wall. Despite all of this, I convinced myself to live with the art for a few months and then regroup.

Dining Room | Cape27Blog.com

I finally just ripped the entire thing off the wall a few weeks ago, forcing myself to either come up with a new solution or stare at a blank wall. When I dislike something, design wise, going back to the blank slate is my best defense. It’s crazy how long I can live with something that I despise, but as long as something is filling the space, I make do. It’s probably not the best for my mental health, but removing the art all together was a new constant reminder to just figure it out already!

So, figure it out I did. SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

The frames we already had on hand. They’re these from Ikea, which we personalized with a few coats of leftover paint on the mats. I’d been dying to give this a try ever since recommending that a client do something similar in their living space. This was the perfect opportunity! The color is Ben Moore’s Summer Nights and I’m obsessed with it. I’m loving the moodiness that it brings to the space.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

I debated between using this color or the navy that we used in the hall bath. Honestly, I think either would’ve done the job just fine. Both colors tie in perfectly with the throw pillow on the bench seat.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

And the frames are exactly what I had in mind as far as proportions go.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

As for what’s in them, let’s take a closer look! Try to ignore the dust ;)

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

I wanted something graphic, but neutral in color since the mats themselves would demand so much attention. After stumbling upon one of these awesome 20″ x 30″ map prints of Cincinnati, I knew it’d be perfect. I love my city and what better way to display that! I trimmed the larger map down into four smaller squares that fit together a lot like a puzzle. So, when you take a step back they all sort of work together. Probably not the way to go if you’re in need of directions (not to mention these maps date back to 1944).. but for the dining room, it’s beautiful and it works.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

The squares ended up about 9″x9″ and the extra area within the mat is filled with leftover 12″ x 12″ white scrapbook paper. My favorite section is the lower right, with a large portion of the Ohio River running through it. So pretty. Well, on the map at least. In person? Oh no. Mud-fest.

Paint Basic Frame Mats with a Bold Color | Cape27Blog.com

How about you guys? Any art switcheroos going on? Working in the yard? Please tell me you’re experiencing this crazy weather outside of the Cincinnati area.. Shorts one day, heavy jacket the next. Is this spring? I don’t remember spring being like this.. Please, make it stop.

38 thoughts on “Lovin’ on Summer Nights

1. Mandolyn

Love this!!! Your previous art was good, but this is GREAT. Definitely saving to my inspiration folder. Thank you for sharing the awesomeness.

2. Erin

Loved your previous art but I really heartsie the new set! Totally POPS! Hopefully you can use the old art somewhere else! Keep the updates coming!

3. tealandlime

LOVE LOVE LOVE! That is a gorgeous shade of blue. They definitely draw you in. I love how you get the amazon map detail when you are close up…great conversation starter at the dinner table!

Thanks for the awesome inspiration on painting photo mats!!!!

4. sue

I am just very curious to know why you would rather start multiple new projects rather than finish one at a time. Your house looks great, so it obviously works for you. Keep it up! :)

Thanks Sue!

Well, we don’t really prefer one way over the other, but there are some definite pros and cons. We’ve noticed that when we try to start just one project we tend to get burnt out pretty quickly. We like to have a few things going on at once, although a little hectic at times, so we jump around and keep the motivation high. It also really helps if we have setbacks. Say one piece is taking longer than planned, or we can’t get our hands on a certain product, we don’t have to waste time… just move to something else for the time being. It’s all a matter of preference and we’re sure this isn’t the route that works for everyone :)

5. Jenn @ homestylereport

I’m in Cincinnati too – What was up with today, seriously!??!

The scale of the new wall art works really well! I also think the matt color compliments the bench cushions. The old wasn’t bad but this is much more cohesive! Very nice!

6. andrea from Raising Peanut

Love love the map idea. thanks! I agree, but never realized how true it is: i can live with something i don’t like. it IS best to get ‘er down and stare at the blank wall (or whatever)… i love that suggestion and am going to use it!

7. Stephanie

I love the blue mats! Quick question: What color are your ceilings and trim? Is your ceiling a light gray?

The wall color is Ben Moore’s Gray Husky and the ceiling/ trim is actually a custom color, matched to our Ikea Adel White kitchen cabinets. It does look a little gray in these pics, but it’s more of an off-white in person. Hope that helps!

Thanks Sharon! The gray wall color is Ben Moore’s Gray Husky. Hope that helps!

8. [email protected]

Looks Great! The weather is just getting nice in Seattle so outdoor projects for us as well…

9. Monica

Wow, I love the four prints with the blue mats so much more. I never think about painting mats. I will have to try that in the future. I am also partial to your map of Cincinnati as I love that city so. I spent all of my childhoods there visiting my grandparents. I hope I get to go one last time this summer to help my parents clean out the house and get it ready to sell. I can’t wait to go to Skyline, a Reds game, and Coney Island. So many great memories.

10. Megan

Our weather is the same! I’m in NC and we were in the 90′s last week and this week we’ve had 60′s. So weird – but I’m enjoying the cooler temps for now! I love your new artwork!! That color is awesome! We are trying to finish building a patio right now – can’t wait for that to be done. Ok, I’m in love with that pillow….where is it from??

Good to hear we’re not the only city! Patio envy over here, we’d love to be working on ours! The pillow is a Homegoods find a few months ago :)

11. Krista @thehappyhousie

The proportions look amazing now! They totally look like they were meant to be in that space. Love the vintage maps and the mat colour too. I am completely switching around the gallery wall in our living room right now… feels good to make the change!
    Krista @thehappyhousie

I considered doing this! We thought it’d look pretty cool all squished together too :)

Just a simple foam roller and one of those sample paints from Sherwin Wiliams. Nothing too crazy :) Just laid them out flat and rolled on the paint. Two coats. Hope that helps!

Thanks, Jen! Yep, I’ve been eyeing all of our frames now too! What can I paint now?? Haha.

12. Annie

I love the pillow on the bench seating. Where did you get it?!? (sorry if you have already covered this in another post).

13. Pingback: BD Matboard Blog 4 More Eye-Catching Picture Frame Arrangements » BD Matboard Blog