May 20, 2013

Suitcase Toy Storage

A few weeks ago I shared a few finds from a local antique show, one of those being this set of suitcases (there are actually three of them).
Use Suitcases as Storage Beneath a Bed | Cape27Blog.com

I had planned to keep them in their original mustard yellow color and use them as toy storage for Zoey. However, when we got them home they were looking super dingy next to all the other bright yellows in her room. So, we decided to give them a new look!

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

I picked up a quart of basic latex paint in a coral semigloss, to match her ceiling color (BM-Pink Polka Dot), and painted away!

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

I completely skipped sanding and priming and did about two and half coats per suitcase. Really, I wouldn’t recommend skipping those steps. The paint seemed to need a bit more to cling to, so if I were to do it again, I’d sand and prime.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

Since the suitcases have a texture to them already, using a brush didn’t leave any visible brush strokes.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

After leaving them to dry overnight, I attached a few casters to the bottoms. We’re planning to use the luggage as storage for barbies, dolls, etc. under Zoey’s bed, so the casters make it easy for her to pull them out by herself. I suppose you could screw the casters to the bottoms, but I just used a little super glue to keep things simple.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

And because I like to make all things pretty, I popped on a few bookplates to label each suitcase.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

So much better.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

Time to put these babies to work!

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

The insides of the suitcases were in excellent condition. A little musty, but nothing a little airing out couldn’t handle. I just wiped them down really well. I’m a little smitten with how they look placed under the bed.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

And the colors tie in really nicely with the coral shades in Zoey’s pillow and the same shade on the ceiling.

Repurpose Vintage Suitcases as Toy Storage Beneath the Bed | Cape27Blog.com

How about you guys? Repurposing anything lately? Giving an old piece a new look? We hit up the antique show again this weekend.. no luck :(

25 thoughts on “Suitcase Toy Storage

1. Stephanie

I think this is a really cute idea! But on a side note…Did you paint the inside of your cupboards?

2. Randi

Super cute. Funny since I remember storing my barbies in suitcases just like those growing up. Love the idea of casters on the bottom.

Awww, memories haha. My mom always had old luggage when I was younger, so they’re special for me too :)

3. Michelle H.

This is an awesome idea! Do you have a resource for bookplates? I thought they’d be easy to find, but I’ve been having difficulty locating them. Thanks!

The bookplates are part of the Martha Stewart line at Staples. Hope that helps!

4. Sara

OMG, those suitcases are freaking adorable! Totally looks like something out of a magazine…oh wait, your hose has been in a magazine…hehe. I love that you seem to balance decorating content with remodeling content. I enjoy a lot of your ideas, but I’m still a renter, so some things are out of the question. Ah well, I tuck the ideas away for later!

Oh wait :) Hahaha, thank you Sara! We’re still totally smitten over here too. So glad you can still get inspiration from our smaller projects, we try to keep some variety in the content.

5. Amy

This is so cute! I love that you painted them! WHen I was younger, my parents had pretty much the exact same suitcase- color and all. Ironically, my sister kept some of her massive Barbie collection in it! Seeing your pictures, I wish I knew where that baby was now!

Thanks Jackie! Now I just have to resist the urge to buy all the suitcases at the antique shows, haha.

6. Jessica

After seeing how awesome your suitcases turned out, I had to try it for myself. Unfortunately my results were a disaster. Boo. :(

Jill of All Trades: diyjill.blogspot.com

Oh no! So sorry to hear that :( Anything in particular that didn’t work out for you?

7. Michelle

Can you please source the castors? I’m panting to get this project started after finding a blue Samsonite yesterday at GW for $2.99! So excited, thanks for this idea!!

8. Pingback: Garage Sale Finds | Bright Green Door

9. Pingback: Garage Sale Finds

10. Pingback: 20 Ways To Store Your Kid’s Toys » Little Inspiration

11. Pingback: 49 Clever Storage Solutions For Living With Kids | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips