July 24, 2013

Laugh It Up

At least, that’s what I keep telling myself as I write this post.

I confessed a major screw up a few weeks ago, regarding how we’ve decorated our home in the past. It felt glorious, but honestly, also a little overwhelming. In efforts not to drown in this mess we’ve created, and to continue moving forward, I’ve chosen to start with one of the rooms that we spend the most time in, to sort of, recover. The living room.

The last few times we touched on this space it was looking like this (minus the new grasscloth entryway):

Living Room Makeover | Cape27Blog.com

It’s lovely, don’t get me wrong. But honestly, it says nothing about us. Zero personality. Well, zero of our personality. If it were all back in the store, not a single thing would be calling my name. Not a single thing would come home with us. Notta.

Obviously, some things need to go. It’s about to get real here people. Everything with an “X” is getting the axe. And by axe, I mean Craigers is coming for you.

Living Room Makeover | Cape27Blog.com

Crazy, right? I mean me. You think I’m crazy, right? It’s cool.

I told you, we messed up big time. Nearly every single item in this room is getting the boot. Let’s take a closer look.

Sofa & Pillows – Sofa never fit the space. Came from our previous home. Just plain doesn’t work in this room. Pillows are not meant to stick around for years. MUST. SWITCH. THEM. NOW. :)

Ottoman/Pouf - Cute, but not here. Maybe the girls’ room? Too glam for us.

Rug - This makes me cry. Way too much yellow going on near the front door. I like the rug, so it may stay somewhere else in the house (master bedroom?).

Dresser/Media Console - Ricky wants to beat my head against the wall for this one. He’d keep it, but I say go. It’s beautiful, but it’s super trendy, too big for the room, and the herringbone makes my eyes bleed. There, I said it. Anything chevron/chevron-esque, please get the eff out of my house. Thank you.

Art Prints - A good quick fix, but I need some “real” art in my life. Something that inspires. Something colorful, and less symmetrical.

Curtain Panels – I’m almost as tired of ikat patterns as I am chevron. I think getting back to my classic roots is the name of the game here.

Front Door - Ok, this isn’t technically going anywhere. But it will be getting a fresh coat of paint :)

Desk Area – This space is already gone, as you saw in this post. Which, while we’re on topic, go ahead and toss these plans as well.

Now, just what exactly are we keeping you ask? Well…

• Flooring
• Pallet Wall (but the other walls may get a fresh coat of paint)
• Ceiling Light (I think)
• Umm, that’s it.

It’s nuts. But also, really, really fun. Yes, we spent money that didn’t need to be spent and lost hours, if not days, on projects that are going down the drain, but that is one heck of a terrible reason to give up on a room. You win some, you lose some. New plan: I’m going with my gut on new purchases, staying the heck away from Pinterest, and taking. my. time. I’ll be back next post with my main source of inspiration for, well, not only this room, but our entire house!

90 thoughts on “Laugh It Up

1. Kelsey // It Takes Two

As crazy as you might feel, I am totally loving this series. And your honesty and ability to admit mistakes. I think we all have some decor mistakes in our homes so you’re definitely not alone. I can’t wait to see your new inspiration source and where you go with your new decor!

2. Maggie

How much are you asking for those curtains? I love them! If you would consider shipping them, shoot me a message at Maggiejean87 at gmail dot com

We’ll have a post up soon with everything we’re planning to sell and how to go about buying :)

3. Lindsey

I’m loving your honesty here! I totally get what you are saying. I’m kinda trying to find my own style right now and while there is a lot out there right now, it’s just not ‘me.’ I’m excited to see what you do with the space! Oh and I’m so over chevron too!

4. Rachael

I live in the Cincinnati area, how much for the TV console?!?!? I might be interested in the curtains as well.

We’ll have a future post with details on what we’re selling, prices, etc. Check back soon!

5. Katherine Goodwins

I think you’re really brave. If I’m totally honest I think the same about 90% of my home – nothing is our style at all. Sometimes I wonder how on earth that has happened. I will work slowly and change it though. I look forward to seeing your changes.

6. Michelle

Can we call dibs on stuff as you get rid of it? :) I’ve been eyeing those curtains at West Elm for MONTHS!!! I’ll put them to good use, I promise! ;)

7. Sharon

Thank you Jessie! I feel so much better now. After I read your post about how you have stuff in your house that you bought but doesn’t really speak to you, I could totally relate. Sometimes, I buy stuff that’s close to what I want but not what I really, really, want and then I wind up not loving it and regretting that I just didn’t get what the hell I really wanted it the first place. Like my bedroom. I’m using a beautiful duvet that I got at PB several years ago. I loved it then but not anymore. I wanted gray walls but my paint is more blue than gray. I’m going to repaint my walls and craig’s list the PB duvet. I’m also going to buy some ridiculously expensive fabric to make a pillow for my bed. I know everyone thinks I’m crazy. I’ve agonized over it. Why can’t I just be happy with what I have? But, it’s about what feeds my soul. I think you’re the only one that gets that. :)

So glad you could relate, Sharon! I’m a strong believer in living in a space that makes you happy. That’s really all I’m after :)

8. Decorum DIYer

I’m right behind you. Except, I’ve never had the luxury of extra time and money to get new things to begin with. I’ve always resorted to hand-me-downs, thrifting, and just making do. I decided that I am not going to be scared of what I want (and my husband and family – they live here, too). Moving forward, I may try trendy things, but I’m going with my gut and getting the real deal when I want (well, when I can afford and have the time). Good luck to you and for following your own way.

Thank you! We’ll definitely still be working within our same budget, just playing things a little safer I suppose. Not falling for tempting clearanced, sale items, etc. and waiting for things we really love. Hope we can stick with it!

9. Lessie

Glad you know you’re crazy. :) You have created the MOST AMAZING room. I like to stare at it. It makes me feel good. It’s a happy sight. A soothing sight. But…parts of it are trendy. Which isn’t bad. But I cannot wait to see what you do next. Thanks for sharing it with us.

10. Kathryn

Glad I’m not the only one who looks at things in her house everyone else says they love and tosses them. Sometimes what works on camera just doesn’t work in person. And vice versa. Have fun!

You’re definitely not alone there! It just all goes back to it being our home. We have to love it or what’s the point, you know? We still enjoy what we have, it just doesn’t quite feel “us” yet.

11. Kelli

I CAN’T WAIT to see what you do. How exciting!! I love this room but whatever you do next will be awesome too. Wish I lived in your “craigers” area!!

12. Mel

You’re not crazy at all! All of the work, money and time that you have put in has led you to a realization; this is not how you want your house to look/feel. Buck the trends, live on the wild side, go crazy…well, you get the picture :)

13. sue

What was the major turning point in your life that made you feel this way and decide to change everything? Everything is so nice, but I know if you don’t feel it is your true style…you won’t be happy with it. I’m the same way. I would get rid of everything in my house if $$ was no object. Good luck!! I can’t wait to see the changes!!!

Hmm. Good question. The step back that I’ve taken from blogging on such a regular basis and doing mood boards probably played a role. With that extra time I was able to focus more on “our style” and I wasn’t constantly tempted by products that I was choosing for clients, if that makes any sense? It’s always been harder for me to decide exactly what it is that I’m drawn to when I’m surrounded by so many options, so it was really helpful to withdrawal for a short period of time.

14. Azure

This will be fun to watch!

I just wanted to note that it’s not realistic to be madly in love with something forever. If you are always seeking the madly in love feeling, you’ll end up being married 8 times like Elizabeth Taylor. I think you are getting the seven year furniture itch (or 6 year itch), which if you can afford it, is totally fine. Much better than the seven year marriage itch! But I wouldn’t expect this round of purchase to be forever either. I would plan on 10 years max! :) Decorating wouldn’t be fun if you did everything once and then had to live with it for 50 years.

You make a great point here! It’s absolutely not realistic to love everything forever. I guess I’m just hoping to make choices that last several years (vs. several months). Maybe it is the seven year furniture itch, haha! Really, I just love the thrill of finding new things, repurposing, refinishing, and giving spaces a makeover. Hopefully this round I can make better decisions on the major pieces and just switch smaller pieces out as a tire of them :) Fingers crossed.

15. Hayley

I completely relate to what you’re going through right now – I love knowing that I am not the only one! I went through a phase of buying things because I “thought” they were the right thing, or I had seen the same thing on a blog so I thought I needed to have it in my house too, instead of buying things because I LOVE them! Can’t wait to see where your house ends up with all the changes!!

16. Dana Moss

What an amazing post! I can’t wait to see how your living room will turn out next! I’m in the Cincinnati area are would LOVE to buy your TV console and possibly the curtains! *swoon*

17. Megan @ The Brick Bungalow

Wow! I can’t wait to see the changes. I agree with you on how some things change. I like Ikat in pictures of some homes but it’ll never be in my house. Yellow is so overpowering that my yellow mailbox and chairs drive me crazy (hubs likes them though). Chevron is fun but it has yet to enter my house. I like some of my things plain, gotta give the eyes a place to rest, so I can see where you’re coming from. Good luck!

18. Haley

I feel the same way about my own home lately. I’ve done some projects and then decide I hate it. Can you let us know when you list stuff on craigslist? I’ve been wanting a couch like that for a while, but can’t afford the retail price and I happen to live in Cinci.

Yep! We’ll have a post with all the details on pieces we’re selling up soon!

19. Maria L

OH. My. God. I love you! You are so inspiring for admitting this! I have had my house for sale for a while now and it is so not ME anymore. You have got to keep us very updated on this! I can’t wait to see what you do with it. I am so very excited!!!! I also am at the stage now with chevron, herringbone, ikat…. UGH! My eyes bleed as well! Thank you thank you thank you!

20. jessvii

First, let me say that I totally support anyone who is trying to do things their way. Independent thought and personal style are priceless.

Granted, I looove the poof. But if it’s not working for you, and it’s your room, then by all means please de-poof yourself :).

However, I was a little troubled by your statements concerning the console, mainly because you said that your husband likes it. It is, after all, a shared space. It’s his room and your room, together.

Sometimes, we each must take one for the team and include elements in a room that we don’t love for the sake of making the other person/people we live with comfortable (unless it’s your office or some other private space). I’m sure you know this deep down already. However, this is a gentle friendly reminder that, even though making decisions is extremely creatively satisfying, we all must try to include the other people around us too.

Thanks, Jessvii! Hopefully we’ll just pass the pouf to the girls haha :)

As far as the media console – We’re big believers that if we BOTH don’t love something, then it goes (or doesn’t come home with us). Smaller pieces, we’re a little more flexible, but like you said, it’s a shared space, so we both must enjoy it. I definitely wouldn’t want Ricky living in a space where he was surrounded by items that he doesn’t love. It’s home after all. And he has that same courtesy for me. We compromise on a lot in life, but we don’t feel like the place that we spend the most time in and raise our family, should be one of those things. Just our thoughts :)

xoxo,

21. Amanda

I literally said “I’m glad its not just me” when I read your comment about wanting some real art in your home. As a girl who lived up in a home where my mom bought art prints and framed them one at a time, I agree. I have never been a huge fan of typography, but it seems like that’s mostly what I’m seeing on design blogs now. I love abstract and figurative art – gives me something fun and colorful to look at and inspires a little imagination also.

But I have to somewhat agree with the comment above me. I realize that you’re anxious to make the home look more like you (I’m in the process of doing the same), but I would take your time and make sure that the complete overhauls you’re planning are necessary. For example, is there a way to altar/paint the console so that the pattern is more calm? Maybe paint part of the console a solid color so that the pattern isn’t as “loud”? I’d negotiate that more with the hubs since he seems to like it so much. But for what its worth, I think the size of the console (and the couch actually) looks fine.

We’re really excited to dive into some new art pieces! I’m a huge fan of abstract as well, now we’ll just have to get Ricky on board ;)

And taking our time with this redesign is something we’re keeping in mind, for sure. We don’t plan to remove anything that can be worked into our evolving style, but the console is just too big for the space. We have a different layout in mind, so it may look a little better size-wise in photos than it truly is. We’ll see :)

22. Marcia

Trendy items get old fast when you’ve seen them a million times. Good for you for deciding it needs a change. I usually redo a room every few years. I make slight changes, redo pillows, pull from my decor closet, etc. Once you get the bones right, the little bits will fall into place. Hang in there.

23. Joy

Love this post and can totally relate! When I was first setting up a house, I was on a limited budget and used hand me downs, thrifting, and paint to (in the words of Tim Gunn) “make it work.” Several years down the road, I realized I still had the place holder furniture and until it was gone, I couldn’t explore my style. One massive garage sale took care of the place holder furniture and patience helped to slowly fill in the gaps.

Even still, I struggle with balancing things I like, with what is trendy now. Cool tones are in, and I love warm tones. I love red accents, and yellow and blue are in. I have come to terms with this. In short, I don’t care, I want to feel warm and cozy in my home.

I wish you luck on this journey. I cant wait to see what you do, especially with the art. I am so over typography! Does anyone want to have to read art? Doubt it!

Some people just need that clean slate to get a sense of what direction they’d like to go. I’d say I probably fall into that category too :) Don’t worry about trends, just go with your gut!

24. Mary

Is there any chance you might be pregnant right now? :P I was like this during the first weeks when I didn´t even know it. If you are not then good luck the changes you are planning all sound like great ideas!

25. Jess *Bright Green Door*

I appreciate your honesty and am excited to see how your style evolves! We’re moving next month and going from having mostly built-ins to having to get lots of furniture, so I want to make the right choices the first time!

Here’s my question… which designers or rooms inspire you? Will you share pictures of what you do like? I’m excited to see what you do like!!

Thanks, Jess!

I’ll have a post up on this topic next, but short answer: Emily Henderson.

26. beckymakes

Your house is beautiful and I am totally using a lot of your ideas on the 50′s ranch we are overhauling(searching 50′s ranches recently is how I found your blog). I can identify with how you feel but I think you are being too hard on yourself. I don’t know you but I wouldn’t think of it as so much of an identity crisis. You just chose stuff you liked at the time and are changing that stuff now…not too big of a deal. I don’t think you screwed up. Your space is a major inspiration to me and others. Maybe your real style will be ever evolving. I ran into my husband’s grandmother today who was disappointed she would have to change her rotting vanity because it now wouldn’t match her 30 yr old wallpaper anymore. We just aren’t that kind of people. I have my bachelor of interior design and I used to sit and think about how frivolous a profession it was and wished I could just be satisfied with what I have instead of always wanting to switch things up but being able to design is a God given talent and we may as well use it! You are clearly resourceful so after selling your old stuff you still will probably spend significantly less than the average person who isn’t design-oriented would spend on their house. Oh a side note… Have you ever given the dimensions of your living room and kitchen? If you could that would be fabulous- our floor plan is basically the same so it would give me a really good idea!

Thank you Becky! I think you’re right in a lot of ways. I’m glad that our spaces are so inspiring for others, and that’s definitely a huge win for us. It’s probably just our tastes evolving :) And I can totally relate to the frustrations of never being satisfied as a decor lover. It’s tough to settle when you love/appreciate it all.

We haven’t given our dimensions (that I know of). The living space is about 17′W x 11′L (including entryway) and the kitchen is 17′W x 10′L. Hope that helps!

27. [email protected]

Wow! You are hardcore! I can appreciate your zero tolerance approach to re-decorating. It’s good to edit and re-define. Keeps things interesting.

28. Arell

I love you and this blog more because of this post. I feel this way about my house ALL THE TIME…. But my husband would kill me if I made him start changing things.

29. Bethany

Yes! Chevron just die already! And I change my mind on throw pillows and curtains every second of the day. Can’t wait to see what’s coming around the corner!

30. Kayla

I think its wonderful that you are honest about this. I have had similar issues with Pinterest taking over my home décor style and finding myself decorating for others? with no personality of us in it. Sometimes it’s good to start over with ‘you’ in mind. I can’t wait to see the changes.

It’s crazy, I never though Pinterest would disrupt the design process, but it is seriously clouding my mind lately. Time to back off a little :)

31. Molly

This is really interesting to see a blogger/designer go through this process publicly. As many have commented, a lot of us struggle with making our spaces simultaneously lovely and “us”. It’s easy enough to do lovely (esp if you have $$, but even if you don’t, it’s still doable via thrifting, diy, etc). I struggle with basically every design decision to really know if I LOVE something or if it’s just pretty. Lots of things are pretty, but do I really want to be surrounded by chevrons, ikat, brass lamps, white ceramic animals, faux taxidermy, typography prints, etc? It’s really hard to know sometimes. I hope as you go through this process you continue to talk about how/why you decide to keep/buy/toss things.

Exactly! Pretty things are so hard to distinguish from actually LOVING something. And I’d never really thought of it being so helpful to share this struggle with everyone, but now I can see that it’s such a common problem. Glad to have so much support! I’ll do my best to talk this one out and share the process as we go :)

32. sue

Sorry if this is not a good time to ask…but did you ever finish or add more to your laundry room? I have been curious to see it, and I just wondered if you used the lockers in there. Your ideas are always so simple and clean…not too fussy or overdone…which I love!

Ohhh the dreaded laundry room, haha. It’s still a work in progress. We finished the lockers once, but now I’m in the process of re-finishing them.. again. Silly mistakes holding us back, that I’ll be sure to share when they’re complete. Hopefully that’s some time this year ;)

33. hollymc1983

I have learned over the years to go with what *I* like and not jump on the trendy bandwagon that *everyone* likes. At first I was like “hmm, this is in style, lets go with it. People will like it.
    But if I didn’t like it, it would get changed eventually anyway. These can be expensive mistakes though!! Which is why I shop very frugally to avoid this – I may love it one day and not the next. I love so many different styles it’s hard to pinpoint which is really mean, so I’ve mixed them all together!

You’re definitely on to something, haha! It’s such a learning process, no matter your background. This feels like progress though :)

34. Jessica

Yes! So glad to see a DIY blogger admit that ikat, chevron and herringbone are trendy. The nice thing about Pinterest is that you can figure out what’s trendy in about 10 minutes. I am tired of ombre, owls and framed inspirational quotes. But this comment comes from someone with ZERO design background who loves antiques and can’t understand why everyone buys furniture from Ikea. I am excited to see what you do with the room, especially how you add bits of your personality and ‘real’ art!

1. Megan @ The Brick Bungalow

I agree with you on the IKEA furniture comment (plus the rest). I’ve been to IKEA once because the closest is 8 hours away. I like some things but would prefer real wood that’ll last and has some personality to it. I searched auctions mainly and find things cheaper than big box store variations, plus not everyone will have it.

It’ll be a nice breath of fresh air for us to step away from the big-box stores and get back into the hunt for thrift/antique finds. I’m sure we’ll still use some Ikea, Target, etc. but maybe just accent pieces. It’s an adjustment though. Shopping thrift stores, flea markets, and antiquing is a little more difficult than hitting up catalogs and online shopping. Wish me luck :)

35. Alana

Oh how I would love to purchase the majority of these items! If you feel like selling anything or want to share craigs links, I would love to know! alana.merrill @ gmail . com

36. Patti

You have to be happy! I am in the same boat, can’t seem to find that happiness in my foyer/entrance area. I buy and replace things constantly…grrr….so frustrating I can relate so I say the heck with it…BE HAPPY! I do have to tell you though, the room before looks great, it was you who introduced me to West Elm and I purchased your yellow rug for my master bedroom…I LOVE IT :)

Thanks Patti! Totally agree. And I will gladly accept the credit for introducing you to West Elm :) aka. best store ever.

xoxo,

37. Sharon

With all due respect I was really offended by your post. I have been following your blog for some time believing that you were authentically doing what you loved with your home. Pouring your heart and soul into your projects to make it your own and sharing what you were passionate about with all of us. And now it was just all a lie!? You are just going to get rid of it all because you’ve decided it isn’t authentic? You grew up with designers and now it just isn’t really “you”? WOW! I guess we all just got taken for a bit of a ride here… disappointing.

So sorry you feel that way, Sharon! Maybe I can better explain.. It isn’t so much that what we were doing previously wasn’t authentic. We really did believe that everything we’d brought into our home and projects we completed were “us”. And we definitely poured our heart and soul into those things.

Unfortunately, I think we’d really been swept up by the styles of all of the other bloggers out there as well as Pinterest. We saw things in other spaces and thought they were beautiful and just assumed that pretty=love (as another reader said). Now that we’ve stepped back a bit from blogging and doing mood boards, we’ve had time to gather our true style and better assess the space.

It’s not to say that we don’t still love our home and the pieces in it. They are lovely, but they just don’t speak to us anymore. It’s hard to explain, but never meant to be a lie to our readers. We’ve always done our best to be honest with you guys. Hope that better explains our situation :)

Jessei

2. Jess

Why would you be offended by her post? Seriously? Haven’t you ever bought something and ended up not liking it or wanting to replace it? What a silly thing to say. A lot of people who love interior design end up switching things around. I know my own home never stays the same for long because I like to try new things. I don’t think that means someone isn’t ‘authentic’. Would you want her to keep her HOME the same just to please her readers? I love her previous room and I’m super excited to see where she goes next.

1. Gaby

I agree with Sharon. Along the way didn’t you realize there was a problem? It’s not like a throw pillow you got tired of, it’s an entire room and design aesthetic. Very disappointing you weren’t true to yourself.

1. Megan @ The Brick Bungalow

I think she is being true to herself and acknowledging it is even better. You’ve never bought anything you ended up hating? Tastes never change? I’ve been decorating my house for 6 years now and have hated some previous design choices.

38. Michelle

I so love and appreciate what you are doing to make your home TRULY yours. My question is about the pallet wall…are you keeping it because you love it, or because it is too much of a pain to take down and repair? I have pallet wood sitting in my garage stained and ready to go, but am hesitant to put it up…would really appreciate honest feedback from someone who has been-there-done-that. Thank you!

39. Jennifer @ Brave New Home

I love this post—thank you for your honesty! I get what you’re saying about stepping away from Pinterest. I feel that most of us do have a strong sense of what we like but it almost gets confused and muddled when we’re overwhelmed by inspirational images. I’ve also been finding that I’ll try out some DIY (usually one I’ve found on Pinterest :P) and will give it a place in my home even though if it doesn’t necessarily fit my design aesthetic. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

40. SJA

Wow! How completely honest of you – and what a huge undertaking.

That said… I LOVE your yellow front door. Have loved it since the first time I saw it on Young House Love… Sigh…

41. Kim G

I love your blog, and many others and rarely post a comment – but I’ve got to speak up on this one! This is the BEST thing I’ve read on a decorating blog EVER. I love to decorate my home and read decorating/design blogs and pin beautiful rooms and I’ve always felt like I was missing something — that some crucial part of the process was over my head. I don’t want what everyone else has — I want my home to be unique and ME! And I see these beautiful homes and they all look alike and I wonder to myself if I’m not stylish or trendy enough buy into the total package. But you get it, and now I know I’m not crazy for not wanting to be one of the cool kids.

I love pallet walls, and gray sofas and sunburst mirrors and all that eye candy that many people work so hard to bring into their homes. But what makes a house a home is the family living in it.

My eyes glaze over when I pin a new beautiful room and think WOW I want that, but then, mostly because of my budget I peel away the novelty, trendy, “I’ll just go to Target and get one” items to see what it truly is I like about the room. While I hate living with a budget, it makes me live with what I love and I KNOW why I love it and what it means to me and my family.

Thanks again and have fun!!!

42. Kate

Honestly- You sound like a undeserving brat. Unappreciative and ungrateful. I admired you and your living spaces. I am sure you will be happy with your “new look” for a short while and then feel the same way you do now. We do not find happiness in our things and until you realize that you will always be dissatisfied. You should re-read your blog entry now that some time has passed- you will be ashamed.

43. Pingback: Entryway Reveal