February 4, 2014

The Nursery Mood Board and Plenty of Other Ramblings

Is there really an appropriate place to pick up at after being gone for so long? Probably not. So instead, I’m just going to jump into something that I’m currently completing consumed by. Babbbby.

As mentioned in the previous post, Ricky and I are so excited to be welcoming our third baby late this April, and even more excited to be welcoming our FIRST BOY. After two girls, it’s totally new, unexplored territory, and it in a lot of ways it feels like our first baby all over again. Exciting, terrifying, and no shortage of emotional breakdowns. On a second note, I think I’ve officially crawled out from under a pregnancy condition known as Hyperemesis Gravidarum (more on that here for anyone interested), basically “morning sickness” on steroids. Which, as many of you guessed, was the main reason for my absence from the blog. Fun stuff, but I’m ready to leave it in my past and live my life again!

So, today I’m back to share a few details on the nursery (!!!!!). We’re shooting to have it completely finished prior to the baby’s arrival. Both of the girls slept in their own rooms only days after coming home from the hospital, and we envision the same happening with this little guy. I’m a super light sleeper, and the girls were unusually loud and mobile sleepers, so we just found it was better for everyone if we be in separate spaces. Of course, that’s always subject to change, but we’d like to have a space ready either way. That means we have just under three months, which should be doable.

The nursery will actually be Lizzy’s old room, who has since moved into a shared room with here big sis, Zoey. Zoey is three and Lizzy will be two next month, so that’s been.. interesting. Their both in big girls beds, and I’m working on finishing up their room as well, meaning we’ve really fallen behind on keeping this blog updated. At some point, I’d also love to share the living room. It’s about 90% complete and 100% different than last time it was shared, but I think I’ll wait to cross the finish line and then spill the beans. And while we’re playing catch-up, Ricky has been chipping away at the family room (the addition, as we once referred to it), which we’re shooting to have ready for furnishings in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Basically, this is just my fair warning that we’re really behind in sharing our progress and that this blog may be running a little different than anything you’ve seen in the past. Noticeably less updates, but more substantial ones at that. I may still have a few smaller projects mixed in, but I’m really excited to make the switch to more “revealing” posts. Think full room reveals and/or multiple updates at a time versus “I love this new pillow/lamp/or chair post”. But for now, let’s get you guys caught up! Here’s a glimpse at what I have in mind for the nursery:

Nursery Mood Board | Cape27Blog.com

1- Color Scheme – We’re playing around with a loose combination of cobalt blues, cool mints, bright yellows, and contrasting black and white patterns, all layered on a bright white palette. We tried our hand at the horizontal wood planking on the walls of our guest bath and we’re thinking the nursery would be a great contender for a second try at that (wider planks this go-round). Maybe just one or two walls, possibly them all, we’ll see. The ceiling will get a subtle pop of minty color, similar to what we did with Zoey’s coral ceiling.

2- Crib – We’ll be using the same crib that Zoey and Lizzy used for the new baby, but it’s seen far better days (tiny teeth got to it before we could prevent the damage). I had been planning to paint the bottom wood base white, to match the upper portion anyway, so now I’m just leaning towards a good sand on damaged areas and a fresh coat of paint on the entire thing.

3- DIY Bookcase – These wood/pipe bookcases are everywhere right now, but we’re hoping to take a slightly different approach color wise when building one of our own. We’ll see. Looking at the mood board, I’m actually kind of loving how the traditional black pipe/dark wood combo is looking too. A few cheery, yellow accents mixed in with toys, books, etc. is sure to make this a favorite wall.

4- World Map – I ordered this print a while back and have a fun crafty project to do with it. The colors are spot on and the paper is surprisingly vintage-inspired. Love.

5- Floor Baskets – Because piles of toys are so much cuter in pretty baskets.

6- Dresser/Changing Table – I used this dresser image in a previous client’s design and have been crushing ever since. We have a dresser that I found on Craigslist just waiting in the garage for some warm weather and cobalt paint. The snowy forecast is looking very promising. And that lamp. We have the very same one in our living room (slacking on updates, I’m aware), and I can’t get enough of it. Seconds, please.

7- Lounge Chair – We never really “rocked” our girls to sleep. No, that’s a lie. We never rocked Lizzy. We rocked Zoey so much that she became fully dependent on it, sometimes taking up to an hour of rocking to fall asleep at night. We then vowed never to rock Lizzy into a full sleep before lying her down. Point of this tangent – we will not be rocking any babies around here, so a simple arm chair should get the job done for those late night feedings. The Karlstad chair would easily transition into any other space in our home as baby outgrows it AND if we destroy the cover with inevitable milk spills, a replacement cover can be bought at a small cost. Win, win.

8- Throw Pilllows – Babies love throw pillows, right? Not in the crib people, calm down.  I’m really drawn to black and white geometric prints and hot damn, this pillow is gorgeous.

9- Rug – The rug in the girls’ room is not soft. Like, at all. It’s terribly beautiful, but has zero function in my eyes. Anyway, that’s a replacement for another day (third time’s a charm?). So, with this purchase I wanted something on the opposite side of the spectrum. We loved West Elm’s Souk Rug, but ultimately ordered this guy. After reading Dana’s post we’re pretty confident that it’ll be perfect for future baby hands and knees.

So, there we have it. Official nursery plans brain dump.

Now, we just have to actually do any one single of these things that we’ve planned. Ready, go.

27 thoughts on “The Nursery Mood Board and Plenty of Other Ramblings

1. Haley

Welcome back! I almost never think this about moodboards, but this one is PERFECT! I can’t wait to see the finished room. I hope you are feeling well!

PS. We have that zebra stuffed animal in blue and it is adorable!

2. Jo

So glad you are back! I have missed this blog so much. I hope you continue to feel better, I had HG with my daughter so I definitely feel for you.

So sorry to hear that, Jo.. Good thing there’s such an amazing reward to focus on at the end for us :)

xoxo,

3. Mindy

When I found out I was preggo with #3, we moved our son and daughter into a shared room so we could make a nursery for the new baby. Not high on my son’s favorite things list, but it worked just fine for two years. Just this last month, our son (the oldest) turned 8 and he got his OWN room back. We put the two girls in together – and Baby number three just turned 2. So I feel ya. The inspiration board looks awesome. Looking forward to watching it all come together. Oh, and ya know how Baby #2 was WAAAAAY more than double the work of having only one kid? The third is a drop in the hat compared to that. Doin’ the new baby, no sleep, constantly on the boob thing is a lot of work that you totally forget about until you’re in the middle of it again, but it’s a cake walk compared to adding that second one. And, boys are sooooo much easier anyway. And they love their mommies. A lot. :)

Thank you so much for this comment! You are the first person to ever tell us that the transition from 2 to 3 is easier than 1-2. Such a relief! Hope it proves true for us too! 1-2 was, well, trying to say the least :)

4. Stephanie

Welcome back! I’m so waiting for the living room update! Also I am TOTALLY jealous about the rug….its always sold out now!

5. Teresa

Welcome back :) I saw the email and was so excited to see a new post!!! Glad things are going well and I can’t wait to see how the nursery turns out. I am in love with those bookshelves…I’m really hoping that it is a trend that will stick around.

Looking forward to updates but totally understanding if they come at a snail’s pace. Take care!

6. Sarah

I am so glad you are back. More importantly, I am so glad you are feeling better! I am so glad you have found some time to share your visions for your son’s nursery. I am looking forward to some of the other changes throughout your house when you feel up to it and have the time. I am sure the next few months will be an absolute whirlwind for you. Best wishes!

7. Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor

Welcome back! Glad to hear you’re feeling better and can enjoy these last couple months of pregnancy. Cant wait to see all the changes you’ve made. I actually really liked the posts with minor updates. Looking forward to having you back. Oh, and the nursery plans look great.

8. Tara

So happy you are back! Looking forward to you sharing your home and family news with the blog world! I’ve missed you!

9. [email protected]

Glad you are feeling better. That nursery inspiration board is gorgeous! I love the fresh colors and the decor that can grow with your son

10. Cassie Moore

I’m so glad you are back! Reading your blog has been so inspiring for me as I make choices for my home. In fact for months I’ve been struggling with the color pallette for my son and daughter’s bedrooms because my paint scheme is very nuetral in my house but I want those pops of color. I am feeling like the ceiling might be where it’s at! Thanks for the inspiration. Now I can’t wait for the weekend so I can get started! Welcome back!

11. sarah

I’m glad you’re back- kept checking because I’ve really enjoyed your blog (but never commented until now). Congratulations on baby #3 and I can’t wait to see all your reveals! I have been wondering what happened with the yellow lockers… did they find a home?

Thanks Sarah! Ohh the yellow lockers, haha. We still have them, but ran into a few issues that we can’t really address until the weather warms up around here. We’re hoping to use them in one or two spaces inside, so we’ll be sure to update as we make progress. For now, they’re basically on hold.

12. Dar

Welcome Back! So happy to hear that you are feeling better. I really miss your blog posts and look forward to your updates!

13. Stacey

Welcome back! Plans look great. If you do the bookcase – could you post a “how to” on your site? Would love to do this – but can’t really follow the directions on the brick house website. Your directions are always super clear! Thanks!

14. Pingback: White Wood Planked Walls + Mint Ceiling - Cape 27