The nursery is moving right along, and thankfully so, considering our little guy is due to arrive in just over a month now. Last time I’d checked in, I’d shared a mood board illustrating our plans for the space, looking something like this:
The past week or so, Ricky has been chipping away at the first phase of the room, what we’ve been calling the “construction” phase. For us, this meant covering the existing popcorn ceiling with new smooth drywall, adding horizontal wood planks to all the walls, trimming out the window and closet opening, re-installing baseboards, adding crown molding, and finally, painting all of it. Easy enough, right? I have to credit most of this to Ricky, although, I was able to jump in with some relief on all the painting.
Here’s the most recent shot of the room, that I’d shared with you guys after whipping up a quick book display (Lizzy still occupying the room at the time):
When Lizzy moved into a shared room with Zoey we emptied out most of the items, but the rest has now found it’s way into the dining room, garage, and anywhere else we could temporarily squeeze things in. That’s also been fun. Changing table in the narrow hallway for a few weeks, why not?
Once completely cleared, Ricky laid down rosin paper to protect the floors and taped off the closet with a plastic barrier (it was filled with nursery items).
First up was new drywall on the ceiling. The decision to cover our inherited popcorn ceilings was something we’ve always wanted to do. They were poorly done and super distracting in the space. Plus, the rest of the home has all smooth ceilings, so eventually covering the bedrooms to match was in the plans since day one. What we didn’t anticipate were popcorn ceilings that had been painted – aka, scraping them smooth was not an option. Although we have different plans for the other bedrooms, in here, we opted to just go over them with a thin new layer of drywall. Quite the delay time-wise, but worth every minute in the end.
As for the planked walls, we followed this tutorial almost to-a-tee, so I won’t go into the details (just follow the link for an in-depth walk-through). However, we made one exception when it came to the corners of the room, by skipping out on the vertical trim pieces. Instead, a quick sweep of caulk prior to painting seemed to cover any gaps where the boards met.
Because each wall in this room is about 11′ long and the wood only came in 8′ lengths, we were a little worried about seam placement. We went with a simple pattern to keep things consistent, but were pleasantly surprised at how well the joints vanished after painting. In fact, if they’d been bothersome enough, we probably could’ve eliminated them completely with a little wood putty. You can barely see in the photo above, seams about 2′ off the corner at every other board (just along the wall without the door).
Once the wood planks were up, Ricky re-installed the baseboards, hung crown molding, and installed craftsman-style trim to match the door on the window and closet opening (check out this post for a full tutorial on how we did that).
And finally, I painted. Everything.
I’m crazy in love with the ceiling color. We wanted something really subtle. I love a bold ceiling, but in this space, we just wanted a hint of mint to compliment the brighter colors we’ll be using elsewhere. It’s noticeable when you enter the room, definitely, but I think once we add the cobalt blue dresser, it’ll read as more of an accent color than the star of the room.
You can already see below how well it picks up on the aqua floor baskets from the mood board.
Sneak peak at a few accessories in the closet.
Here you can really see how well the caulk worked to join the boards together at the corners.
I was a little fearful that adding the wood planks to all the walls might make the room feel even smaller than it is, or that all the crazy horizontal lines going on would get distracting, but I’ve found quite the opposite. I think the bright white makes more of an impact than the actual wood itself, opening up the room even more.
And I’m head-over-heels for the contrast against the floor.
I was also always under the impression that I loved the craftsman trim and the crown moldings throughout the rest of our home because their bright white color popped against our gray walls – not the case. The white on white has me begging for more here:
I still need to do a few touch ups around the window, as well as empty the closet and give it a fresh coat of paint, but for the most part, we’re moving onto the fun stuff!
I painted the crib last month, so that just needs to be reassembled. I’m working on the dresser as we speak (!) and the arm chair has been making itself right at home in our living room for weeks. Lighting, rug, curtains – all in the works! Closing in on the industrial pipe bookshelves 🙂